huray I am up and running Linux 6.2

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
12 Sep 2000 14:23:11 -0400

"Alan Garrison" <aeg@lbwl.com> writes:

> 4.  You created a "swap partition", not a swap file (unless
> you are referring to something else).  64 megs is probably
> fine.  I've seen various rules on how big it should be, but
> I don't think there is one exact rule for everyone.  If
> you are doing real memory intensive things (or just
> running Netscape), you may find that 64+64 may not be
> enough.

The usual rule of thumb is that swap space should be at least as
much as the physical memory in your machine but that anything
more than twice that is a waste of space.

My own machine has 128 MB RAM and three 128 MB swap partitions
striped across three physical hard drives for best performance.
However I don't think this machine has ever gone more than say
200 MB into swap, and that only in dire circumstance.  Usually it
only has a bunch of rarely used programs swapped out; e.g., xdm,
xfstt, lpd, jserver, lockd, ...