huray I am up and running Linux 6.2

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 14:26:25 -0400 (EDT)

On 12 Sep 2000, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> The usual rule of thumb is that swap space should be at least as
> much as the physical memory in your machine but that anything
> more than twice that is a waste of space.

It all depends on what you're doing, some tasks may legitimately
require extra swap space (I've seen stuff that recommends swap
space equal to 3x your main RAM).  Basically the trick is to never
get into a situation where "RAM+swap < amount_needed", as bad things
tend to happen.

> My own machine has 128 MB RAM and three 128 MB swap partitions
> striped across three physical hard drives for best performance.
> However I don't think this machine has ever gone more than say
> 200 MB into swap, and that only in dire circumstance.  Usually it
> only has a bunch of rarely used programs swapped out; e.g., xdm,
> xfstt, lpd, jserver, lockd, ...

I had mozilla eat up that much before, filled up my 256mb RAM and
400mb of my 500mb swap before I managed to kill it...  Relatively
dire circumstances, but it happens on occasion...

--
Edward Glowacki			glowack2@msu.edu
Network Services