Internet sharing with linux and win98 machines

Don Chorman chormand@pilot.msu.edu
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:21:51 -0700

Hi,
        I am going to get the AT&T@Home service installed this weekend.
I have 2 machines on my apartment, one has RH 6.0 and the other machine
is running win98. I know absolutely zip about networking.  A person who
works at MSU said that I could set up my linux box as a DHCP server. He
said I could hook the modem up to the linux box, and then network the
two PC's. I think that the @Home service assigns its users static IP
addresses. Will connecting through a DHCP server (My linux box) make my
Win98 machine more secure( change it's IP too?)?  I was pretty much lost
when he told me this stuff. Could you folks enlighten me about what he
was talking about? Any clues would be great! Thanks,
Don Chorman