Internet sharing with linux and win98 machines

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
13 Sep 2000 15:29:15 -0400

Seth D Mosier <mosierse@egr.msu.edu> writes:

> I've had @Home in Maryland, and yes, @Home gives you static IPs over DHCP.
> It's kinda weird. Its one of those, technically it's DHCP, but this is
> what your first assignment's going to be and odds are it'll never change.
> (It never did while I was there - 2 years).
>
> It's kinda dumb, but then again who said @Home was smart?

I wouldn't call it dumb.  It's the way that things would be done
if I were running them at a cable-modem ISP.  It gives you the
ease of being able to use DHCP but with the convenience of not
having a constantly changing IP address.  And if they ever need
to start using real dynamic addresses in the future then there's
no need to have all the customers change their setups.

Heck, I run things the same way on my own mini-network.  It means
that when I reinstall my test boxes (which can happen up to 10
times a day when I'm doing installation development) I don't have
to type in the machine's IP address (and its netmask, and the
gateway address, and the DNS server address, and...) every time,
which saves a little time and a little typing.