Internet sharing with linux and win98 machines

Dpk dpk@egr.msu.edu
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:54:01 -0400

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 03:40:17PM -0400, Benjamin Minshall wrote:

   Despite it's name, DHCP does not have to be dynamic nor does it
   require lease lengths.  It is a trivial matter on a DHCP server to
   have set up static assignment maps like...

   	if MAC = AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA then IP = 1.2.3.4

   In this situation, there is no expiration, the IP address is

Not true.  Just for clarification:

"if MAC = AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA then IP = 1.2.3.4" implies that a specific
network card should get the same address everytime.  Its lease could
still expire and the client will request an address, but it will
receive the same address.  As you mentioned this setting would allow
an ISP to change their IP allocation.

However, setting the lease time to infinity causes the lease to never
expire.

These are two different settings, and each can be used independently
of each other.

Dennis

   'static', and if needed, the cable modem company can change their
   IP allocating scheme without sending "Click on the network control
   panel" instructions to hundreds of customers.