Internet sharing with linux and win98 machines

Jeffrey Benton bentonje@msu.edu
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:41:16 -0400

It is actually possible to connect to AT&T's network by statically assigning
IP address.  That is how I am currently hooked up and was told by the
installing technician that it was fine to go either way.  The technician
will have an invoice with him that has the static IP listed on it.  However,
for the sake of simplicity he will always set up your machine with DHCP
unless you insist otherwise.

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-user-admin@egr.msu.edu [mailto:linux-user-admin@egr.msu.edu]On
Behalf Of A. Garth Brook
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2000 3:28 PM
To: Marcel Kunath
Cc: Seth D Mosier; linux-user@egr.msu.edu
Subject: Re: Internet sharing with linux and win98 machines

> I mean even if the lease is long he could not connect to ATT if he
specified
> the IP on his machine as static and was not using a dhcp client. Or can
> somebody tell me otherwise that they are using @Home without dhcp client?

When I'm at home, I have @Home set up. I also set up a friend on mine for
his home network. It's always used DHCP for it's IP address. I don't htink
they it's easily possible to connect to ATT's network with out setting up
DHCP.

There's the rest of my two cents! :-)

Knowledge is Power. Time is Money. Power=Work/Time. Therefore
Knowledge=Work/Money. Solving for Money: Money=Work/Knowledge. Thus, as
Knowledge approaches zero, Money approaches infinity, regardless of work
done.