Memtest problem / my kernel question

Torgo Jr agarris@voyager.net
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 18:39:38 -0400

On the machine which I've reported some strange problems
before:  I ran "memtest 50000000", and the output is mostly
just lines like:

VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for kswapd

The "kswapd" is also "rpc.nfsd" or "memtest" in a few
places, but mostly "kswapd".  Like a good little hacker
(wannabe) I figured that this is a kernel message and
found this message in /usr/src/linux/mm/vmscan.c.  Fine,
but I'm no kernel guru, so the source doesn't make
too much sense.  The machine is a K6-2 300 Mhz, 128M
ram, using a stock Debian 2.2.17(pre) kernel.  For
some reason I couldn't compile the kernel source a few
weeks ago.  Since 2.2.17 is now released, I'll try this
soon.

But.... given that my kernel is currently a "pre", could
the "pre"-ness be giving me my occasional strange
problems?  Those problems being after the machine has
been up for a week or so, things randomly segfault (simple
things like "ps" or "top").

--
Alan Garrison  ___ agarris@voyager.net
"MD5:  An encryption method used on the Internet."