Memtest problem / my kernel question

Sean picasso@madflower.com
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:46:29 -0400 (EDT)

My money is still on a bad ram stick. It is usually the cause of really
wanky unpredictable failures. (even across platforms!) It seriosuly the
same thing that happened to me on both the X86 and Sparc Linux installs
with bad ram sticks.

Software memory testers suck and don't necessarily catch the error
correctly right away. On the X86 box I just guessed. On the Mac it caught
it the first time, then i tried again and let it run 100 reps and it didnt
find anything, I quit and reran it and it caught it. On the Sparc, I
put the Solaris install disk in and not only did it catch the error but it
wouldnt let me install. *bows and worships Sun for catching it and Memoryx
cause they replaced it with no hassles*