Network Debian Install

Dan Nguyen nguyend7@cse.msu.edu
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 18:11:24 -0400

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 05:42:50PM -0400, Benjamin Minshall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Perhaps I missed it in the Debian docs, but is there any way to install
> install Debian Potato via the Network.  By Network I mean FTP or NFS?  Could
> someone please give me the dime tour of such an install if possible?
> Thanks.

Assuming x86, check http://www.debian.org/releases/2.2/i386/install.html

Option 1.

The 16 floppy install.  Write all the .bin files from
ftp://debian.egr.msu.edu/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44 to floppies using rawrite

Option 2.

The 2 floppy install.  Write only rescue.bin and root.bin to
floppies.  Write base2_2.tgz and drivers.tgz from
ftp://debian.egr.msu.edu/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/
to an open partition (ie. windows, or cdr disk).

Option 3.

There are several other install images including:
* compact - no math emu, sound, joysticks, video4linux, and other
drivers which you may not want.  Includes PCI SCSI and IDE, some RAID
(DAC960 & SMART2); (3 floppies + 11 floppies)
* idepci - NO SCSI!  Support for ATAPI ZIP, LS-120, only essential
drivers like 'compact'; (3 floppies + 11 floppies)
* safe - "safe, slow and stupid" version of SYSLINUX for very buggy
BIOSes; (5 floppies + 11 floppies)
* udma66 - Promise Ultra66 controllers (6 floppis + 11 floppies)

The 11 floppies are for the base image which you can copy to a free partition

Further information can be found at
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/

After the intial reboot you have a fully working Debian GNU/Linux
(minus a lot of "standard" packages).

Unfortunately there is no way that I know of which you can get
base2_2.tgz during the install.  That is definately something that
should be added.

--
     Dan Nguyen     |  It is with true love as it is with ghosts;
  nguyend7@msu.edu  |  everyone talks of it, but few have seent it.