GLLUG meeting topics

Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:32:22 -0400

>I thought we covered Samba once (bad memory?) I don't believe we have
done
>anything on integration with Netware though. The kernel IPX code has
>gotten a  major overhaul since I last remembered it. I thought Caldera
was
>working on a  distribution with the integration built-in, but that was a
>while ago and I havent heard much about it since. I don't have time to
>test it on this network and I am not sure they would like that anyway..

        Caldera developed the Open Network Desktop for OpenLinux back
        in 1997 ('96?).  Since then, Novell has released eDirectory,
        which ships as part of Caldera OpenLinux eServer, or as a bolt-on
        piece for other distributions, though I think the Caldera distro
        is the only supported configuration.  It's a neat implementation,
        but it's nothing you couldn't do with LDAP and the NCP/IPX modules
        that are part of the kernel.

        If this is something ppl are interested in, I could present on it,
        but I wouldn't have time to prepare until later in the summer as
        I've got another 5 weeks of classes and am planning a wedding, not
        to mention working.  :-\

PaulM