How to add color to remote logins

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:21:15 -0400

Ed's Tip of the Day
-------------------

I've been trying to get color to work in VIM on a Solaris box that
I'm SSH'ing into, but I haven't had much success.  I knew it was
a problem with the terminal info (terminfo/termcap, terminal type,
etc.), but I couldn't quite nail it down.  I finally discovered
the secret in the MUTT FAQ.

setenv TERM xterm-color (tcsh)
export TERM=xterm-color (bash)

This requires a working terminfo file for xterm-color.  If you
don't have one on the box, check for it on a handy Linux box,
probably in someplace like /usr/local/share/misc/terminfo/x/xterm-color.
Stick it in your home directory as ~/.terminfo/x/xterm-color, then
tell the system about it with one of these commands:

setenv TERMINFO ~/.terminfo (tcsh)
export TERMINFO=~/.terminfo (bash)

You should now be able to run VIM (or MUTT, or other apps that use
color) in all its wonderous, colorful glory!

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG Peon  				http://www.gllug.org