[MP3 cd's... ]

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
18 Apr 2001 17:55:25 EDT

Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu> wrote:
> I was just taking a peek at MP3 players for my car and came across
> the following on Kenwood's website, from a page describing the
> Z919:
>     * Bring a CD with your MP3 files, and take a test listen. (CD needs
>to be burned at 2X speed or higher.)

Translation:  "We used cheap components that might not read every burned CD,
so we're just doing a CYA."  Or, "We don't know what we're talking about."

>     * Watch how folder and file names are displayed.

This can be useful information; my Apex DVD player will play MP3 CDs, but only
displays the ISO9660 8+3 filenames (grump).  An interesting test could be to
try this out with a CD that has Rock Ridge and not Joliet extensions, or has
plain ISO9660 with the TRANS.TBL hack in place, and see if the player can
still pick out the long filenames.

>     * See how track time scrolls like a slot machine.
>     * Watch how the Round Sound Level indicator pulses to the beat of
>the music.
>     * Ask to see all six Round Sound Level indicator modes including
>     * Imagine this unit installed in your car, truck or SUV."

Marketing drivel.  OTOH, a compact unit with a 320x240 LCD that could display
either an xmms-like interface or {Blursk,G-Force,Goom!} would be nifty.
Impractical and expensive, but nifty.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
There is no Darkness in Eternity