compression

Marcel Kunath kunathma@pilot.msu.edu
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 10:46:44 -0400 (EDT)

I know you all read /. but I post it anyways:

http://www.geocities.com/patchnpuki/other/compression.htm

I don't know about Computer Science and myself. Most CSE classes at MSU bore
the hell out of me (e.g. CSE 830). Exceptions were 230, Software Engineering,
Networks, Operating Systems.

But then I come upon discussions like the one above and I am enormously stunned
by the subject matter. What makes it especially interesting to me is the matter
that human communication failed in this instance and the level of detail needed
to discuss intense scientific subject matter.

I was staying away earlier from discussions of "is a degree worth more than a
certification" and I favor certification and practical knowledge application
more than a degree simply because I get bored in theory discussions, which to
me seem to lead nowhere. I need to see definite results to be satisfied. But I
feel highly interested reading a practical problem like the one above and
legalese as in the deCSS case.

Having been at MSU I learned there is bad classes (PHY 183/4), good classes
(CSE 230) and great classes (EC 425). It makes one realize what your interests
are and what you are good at and not good at. I personally don't favor degrees
because they are research oriented and I guess I lack the drive or motivation
to do research or abilities to do research. I still feel I got abilities to
discuss technical and computer science subject matter but my shortcomings
prevent me from achieving good results in a research environment. I feel
more comfortable with practical applications. I never have done any
certification but I surely feel interested and got a hunch that I would succeed
better at it as I consider my Computer Science studies pretty much least
successful of all the things I done at MSU.

I feel the entire time spent at MSU I learned about Linux, networking,
TCP/IP and so forth and just did MSU classes on the side because I
wasn't really interested as I saw no practical need for it. I learned to work
in a highly burocractic business/info tech environment (MSU-AIS) where CSE
knowledge wasn't really needed either because it is focused on mainframe and
web development excluding any C or Java use.

This is not the first time I thought about this but something that evolved over
the past 3.5 years and I think MSU lacks a Information Technology program for
people like me. Or some program which combines Computer Science with business
or law. I don't see the Comm Dept coming close. I know I could have chosen a
different school.

This wasn't to diss MSU curriculum. I don't consider my studies as a waste.
Quite the oppsite actually because I learned what I do not want to do in my
life. =) It just took me too long to realize haha I just had this bunched up
inside me and felt it needed to be said.

sorry it was my time to ramble.....

  -- Marcel Kunath

 Montie House Network            Greater Lansing Linux Users Group
  http://www.montiehouse.com      http://www.gllug.org