asshole virus emailers

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
31 Jul 2001 22:59:31 -0400

Sean <picasso@madflower.com> writes:

> I use pine with procmail.

So I've been delaying learning how to use or even[1] installing
procmail for the last few years, because Emacs Gnus does a fine
job of sorting messages into folders for me based on regexes.
Now that I'm having to deal with lusers mailing me multi-megabyte
virus/worm/whatever attachments, I'm reading the procmail
manpages so that I can bounce these back to them with an
automatic, nasty "you are an OE luser, please kill yourself"
email[2] without them wasting my precious 56 kbps of bandwidth.

All I can say is, I would *never* inflict the .procmailrc
language on anyone.  It is horrible.  The guys who designed this
should never be allowed to design a command language again.  Ugh!
It is horrible.  Did I mention that it is horrible?

That said, I'm still planning to use it.

[1] That came out as "exim" on first typing.  I'm having a bad
MTA day, what can I say.

[2] Well probably I'll just drop them on the floor silently.  I'm
too lazy to be a real BOFH.
--
"Premature optimization is the root of all evil."
--D. E. Knuth, "Structured Programming with go to Statements"