CVS, dates, and versions

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 10:50:59 -0400

OK, I have some documentation spread across several different files
something like this:

Header information (contained in file0)
#include file1
#include file2
#include file3
Footer info

I'm using CVS to keep track of changes, and I'd like the header
information to include the date when the document was last modified.
I've used $Date: $ in the header, except that only works when the
*header* file is modified, not when its children are.  I suppose
I could write a wrapper for "cvs ci" that modifies the header, (or
updates an #included file called "version" or something), but that
seems like the "wrong way" to do it... Any "smarter" ideas on how
I could do this "automatically"?

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG Peon  				http://www.gllug.org