Thanks and simplistic MySQL Q

Dpk dpk@egr.msu.edu
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 08:33:38 -0400

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 08:25:53AM -0400, Matt Fuerst wrote:

   Greetings,

   Thanks a ton for all the suggestions for catching output from
   commands (from a few days back). tee was definetly the answer I was
   looking for!

   Now, a simplistic MySQL question. I've got two boxes. One Apache &
   PHP machine, one machine wth MySQL loaded. On both I have loaded
   the MySQL Client utilities/applications also for ease of
   use. Machines are on the same hub and both have Internal IP
   Addressing (10.10.10.5 (Apache) and 10.10.10.6 (MySQL))

   When I try to connect to the MySQL machine from the Apache machine
   (via MySQLGUI, but I am sure it applies to any connection method) I
   get rejected since my client is not authorized (I am trying to log
   in as root). How can I tell MySQL daemon to let my machine
   10.10.10.6 log in? That should be pretty easy. I RTFM and it wasn't
   covered in the Setup chapter.

   Thanks a ton again!

You probably need to grant permissions to root from the remote
system.  Connect as root on the local system and issue:

GRANT ALL ON *.* TO root@10.10.10.5 IDENTIFIED BY "my-password" WITH
GRANT OPTION;

However, I would probably reserve root for the local system and setup
restricted access for remote connections.  For instance, to allow
"dpk" access to the "linux" database:

GRANT ALL ON linux.* TO dpk@10.10.10.5 IDENTIFIED BY "letmein";

I also suggest getting famailiar with the mysql database:

  use mysql;
  show tables;
  select * from user;
  select * from host;
  select * from db;

This will give you a basic idea of mysql security.  More detail is
covered in the Mysql docs.

Dennis