bundling thoughts

Mark Szidik szidikm@mlc.lib.mi.us
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 10:29:32 -0400 (EDT)

This is certainly an interesting crack in the Mickeysoft
attitude.  I hope you are right Marcel and all the software
vendors start to clamor for space on the XP desktop.  Sun should
push to get its JVM installed just like Kodak did - call up its
paid govt officials and whine to them.

THere is another interesting aspect of the article that I would
like to discuss.  The line is:  "...Windows XP will *steer* users
toward its own partners and not Kodak". [1]

Steering users.  Oh Thats a nice thought. I get an image of
cows being lead to slaughter.

Lets face it XP is no longer about software, this is about
manipulation.  The people on this list are smart enough to see
this, but unfortunately the vast unclean flock of Windoze users
will have no idea that they are being manipulated as M$ tools.

The whole XP/smarttags/.net/hailstorm/passport juggernaut really
makes me nervous.  I hope it fails miserably, but I doubt it
will.  M$ will cut sweetheart deals with companies to use their
"technology" exclusively and a relatively tiny group of people
like me who refuse to use Passport will be cut out.

If this .net mess succeeds I will be looking forward to a vibrant
under-net that survives on Free software.

Sheese I sure am in a dark mood today.

-Mark

[1] - my emphasis on steer.

People interesting in Marketing manipulation should read the book
by Douglas Rushkof "Coercion".