bundling thoughts

Marcel Kunath kunathma@pilot.msu.edu
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:48:18 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I was just reading this:

http://www.thestreet.com/tech/software/1517338.html

and I am having thoughts.

First of all I agree that Microsoft is violating laws by bundling its software
products with its operating system. It builds an anti-competitive advantage for
them. The only way this should be allowed is if competitors are as well allowed
to deliver their products pre-installed or even pre-delivered (on the MS
install CD).

Overall I think this is not manageable and MS should not be allowed to bundle
anything but just sell their cut down OS and deliver any additional software on
extra CD to be installed by the user.

Here is why. Now Kodak is powerful and has the ability to force Microsoft to
the above concession. And now AOL and Real want in on the deal. Then it is
Norton and then McAfee and then god knows whatever company. And who do you see
left out? FSF.

I don't know if this becomes general practice I would hope the FSF files a
lawsuit and demands free software developers are as well given a piece of the
pie and be allowed to put their programs on a users desktop. I could think of
programs like NTEmacs and isn't there a vi for Windows? And this would prove
how stupid the bundling argument really is.

Case in point.....non-OS software may be bundled but only by delivery on CD. I
figure all free software developers could organize and put together a CD which
the user then uses to install free software and this CD is bundled with every
PC sold which comes with Windows.

I am curious to see what would happen if Jabber or so would ask for its IM
client to be bundled with XP. I am sure Microsoft would get a laugh out of it.

Hmmmm this makes me wonder if I should write this whole idea up and post it on
linuxtoday.com and raise some awareness to the ludicriousness of this whole
ordeal and see if maybe free software can get in on the deal....

I know people hate my crazy ideas but heck you live only once. What do you
think?

 -- Marcel