bundling thoughts

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
14 Aug 2001 11:44:03 -0400

Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com writes:

> Allow me to play devil's advocate here, for a moment.  Other than some
> embedded OS's, "bundling" is a standard practice, especially among Linux
> distributions.  The idea that you would have to individually download and
> install (or, applying this to commercial software, purchase) each utility
> and application individually in order to make your system usable, let
> alone robust, is unappetizing at best.

I'm not sure that's a fair statement.  Debian includes as many
web browsers, for instance, as anyone cares to package.  It's not
really "bundling" if you include everything available.  (Only a
certain number will fit on the first CD-ROM, though, of course.)
--
"Then, I came to my senses, and slunk away, hoping no one overheard my
 thinking."