bundling thoughts

Marcel Kunath kunathma@pilot.msu.edu
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 16:18:42 -0400 (EDT)

Ok now I know where you are coming from. I get your point.

But I still don't feel guilty. I am past the stage where I even try to
convince anybody to use my OS because my OS is (fill in the void). It just
doesn't work or I am not convincing enough. So just because I propose leveling
the playing field by cleaning up the bundle mess in the Windows domain doesn't
mean I am a supporter of the Windows operating system. I just care about equal
and fair treatment when it comes to competiton in a market and that is why I
raised this subject. I had no intention to talk down Apple by discussing
Windows and bundling.

That is also why I gave up on my Kodak webcam. I cannot convince Kodak to
release the specs for it. I got to eat the 150 bucks (back then) and in the
future if I ever buy some webcam I make sure first I use one which does/is
support/ed /by Linux. So you are right, but I didn't have the intention to diss
Apple but only discuss an issue.

Sorry,

mk

> What you propose has already been done, Apple bundles Apache, php, perl,
> tcl, gcc, etc etc with MacOS X along side IE and a few others which they
> get paid for.
>
> So when I say you are a hypocrit, it is because you are supporting a
> company M$ that doesnt bundle free software, instead of a company like
> Apple who does.
>
> And in fact you are promoting M$ by creating a Free software bundle
> instead of promoting a company that already does what you want.
>
> Matter of fact I know the _next_ argument is you don't like Apple
> hardware, well Apple's core is Open Source and some people are working on
> an X86 port and I am sure they would be more than willing to have some
> help getting it ported. All in the spirit of Free software of course.
>

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Marcel Kunath wrote:
>
> > I still don't see where I am a hypcrit. I said I don't like bundling and if
> > anything comes bundled it should be on CD and the user decides if to install

> > it. (not sure if I said that somewhere....I am losing track in this debate)
> >
> > Then I said the courts said bundling is legal and if that is so we should us
> > it to our advantage. Enforce a bundling of free software if one wishes to do
 so
> > and level the playing field in regards to users and what they see on their
> > desktop. (BTW I don't believe every user should be a Linux user. So I don't
> > see anything wrong with promoting free software on the Windows platform.)
> >
> > At the end you asked if we got that kind of cash to make those deals. As I
> > wrote before companies make deals according to the expectation of
> > profits. They than share those profits in cross licensing whatever bundle
> > agreements. Since free software makes no profits does this mean we should as
> > for free software to be included for free and do we have a right for this to

> > happen? It would still be a sharing of profits because 1/3 of zero profits i
> > still zero. The profit sharing idea simply doesn't work anyhow since Microso
ft
> > gets free IE installs on XP and even if it shared profits it would share the
> > with itself. Hence my above reasoning that applications belong separate from
 OS