linux as a workstation

Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:32:09 -0400

>bwah?? IPX broadcasts, samba broadcasts, from everything I have read
>Appletalk is less resource intensive then either of the other two
>protocals.
>
>They made this change about 3 years ago, and it _doesn't_
>affect older clients, IE you need to be running system 8.1+ or else you
>will encounter the problems, I thought they added encryption to it, and
>you can use it on a network with only IP available. Cisco supports zones
>and routing of the protocal.

AppleShare/IP != Appletalk

The two are not compatible.  And, unless the netatalk package has been
updated to work with AppleShare/IP, it's still SAP-only atalk.  And, FWIW,
Appletalk is far more chatty and far less scalable than IPX or SMB/IP.
True, it can be routed, but it uses a "zone" paradigm, which is similar to
IPX's network number.  Each system is configured as part of a zone (or
left to SAP for a zone), and then it becomes a naming suffix.  It's an
additional feature that has to be configured for it to work.