Successful KDE 2.2

Marr marr@shianet.org
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 15:37:16 -0400

Tim Schmidt wrote:

> Just wanted to let people know...  I've successfully installed KDE 2.2 and
>
> (...snip...)
>
> I am pleased to report that KDE 2.2 is significantly (actually very
> noticably) faster than KDE 2.1.1

Now you tell me.... I've just installed Slackware 8.0 (with KDE 2.1.1)
on 3 machines... ;^)

But seriously....  I (eventually) have a KDE 2.2 question.  First, some
background:

I've been using a very bare (but very powerful and functional) desktop
configuration for many years.  The Motif Window Manager ('mwm') was what
I started with long ago (on SunOS) and it's what I still use now (on
GNU/Linux).  Don't laugh -- 'mwm' is highly customizable (via a couple
of simple text files).  I've got a "well-tuned-to-my-likes"
configuration that I can easily migrate from host to host just by
copying 2 or 3 files.

However, every time I get a new Linux distro (usually just a Slackware
upgrade, but I've tried others), I usually try GNOME and KDE and the
various window managers.  Due to a lack of speed or a lack of
configurability (and admittedly, probably a lack of familiarity), I've
never found a window manager that I like as much as 'mwm'.  However,
with the advent of features that did not exist when I started using
'mwm' (like virtual desktops), I want these new capabilities in my
window manager and have (slowly) been getting to the point of tackling a
switch in window managers, indeed a complete switch in desktop
environments.

Now to the point of all this... :^)

I've been tweaking the default KDE 2.1.1 window manager to get my "mwm
work-alike" settings.  Things are mostly good -- BUT!  Why do they
*hardcode* 'Alt-Tab' to be the 'switch-window' hotkey?!?  Virtually all
of the other KDE 2.1.1 window manager settings are nicely configurable.
I've spent too many years using a different key combination to re-wire
my brain.  KDE 2.1.1 does allow a selection of either 'KDE-style' (ala
Windoze, with pop-up task-switch window) or 'CDE-style' (more like
'mwm', just switch immediately to the next window in the 'rotation') for
the 'Alt-Tab' hotkey, but that's it -- there's no way to change the
hard-coded hotkey!

Does KDE 2.2 allow you to re-define the 'Alt-Tab' hotkey?

-----------------

On a related note, my Emacs (version 20.7.x) under the KDE 2.1.1 desktop
breaks the 'font-lock-mode' (colorization) somewhat.  The 'non-special'
text (i.e. text that gets no special color and just uses the default
color) is erroneously always black-on-white, regardless of the chosen
background color (black, in my case).

Has anyone else seen something similar?

Admittedly, I have not investigated this much yet, other than to notice
that Emacs colorizes as expected when I switch back to using the old
bare-X11/'mwm' setup.  Gotta get this fixed -- can't live without my
Emacs!  :^)

Bill Marr