freebsd

Adam McDougall mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 09:32:48 -0400 (EDT)

Did you do the standard, express, or custom install?  The only reasons I
could think of why /bin/sh wouldnt be executable is if the "bin" dist
wasnt installed (part of a minimum install) or the root it is mounting is
not "/" on the partition you expect for some reason.  If you do a standard
or express install, it should try to make sure you have custom/bin
installed or at least "minimal" which includes bin.

Assuming it was installed to start with, you can try the following.  Upon
rebooting when it gives you a 10 second countdown before the kernel loads,
hit space.  This drops you to the boot loader prompt, at which you can
execute an ls and see what files are on the partition it loaded the kernel
from.  You may be able to do a ls bin and see inside it to see if you have
an sh or anything else.  You can also execute the boot -s command and it
will boot the kernel and attempt to drop you to a root shell so you can
look around at the system inside a unix environment.  From there you can
type mount to see which device is mounted (read only) as /, and you can
mount things to get (write) access, like mount /, mount /usr.  Try to let
us know what you see is on your system, what partition it thinks / is,
etc.