wierd traceroute results ???/

Adam McDougall mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 12:05:28 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Don Chorman wrote:

> I have been trying to connect to an internet gaming service (WON)
> for the last two days. ( I really shouldn't be playing games..but what the
> heck)
> I haven't been able to connect, so I tried the gamespy network.
> I couldn't connect to any network games there  either. I thought
> that is might be my masquerading setup, so I hooked up my windows
> machine directly to the cable modem. Still no luck.
> While playing around with traceroute, I noticed a
> different machine for my first hop. I did two traces, one from each
> machine. Each machine was directly hooked up to the modem when
> I did the traces
>
> I'm curious as to what machine the first hop is.
> Any ideas??
>
> traceroute from Linux Machine:
> [root@Machine init.d]# traceroute www.att.com
> traceroute to www.att.com (192.20.3.54), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
>  1  * * *
> <------no machine listed here ????
>  2  bb1-fe1-0-100bt.elnsng1.mi.home.net (24.2.222.1)  17.953 ms  24.878
> ms  15.827 ms
>  3  c1-se6-0.dtrtmi1.home.net (24.7.73.189)  12.586 ms  14.049 ms
> 11.597 ms
> ......  rest of hops not shown.

I have big ideas for the gaming situation, are you sure the servers are up
for other people?  Also,  what did the traceroute look like from your
machine to the servers, and from a nonrelated machine to the servers?  If
you give us an ip, we can try too.

I can see linux not showing 10.x hosts in traceroute... If incoming data
is from an ip in a range that is supposed to be a private subnet, then
perhaps a firewall on linux or something else would purposely ignore
private range IP's coming from an external interface.  If its ignoring the
messages traceroute causes machines to report back with, traceroute will
show a * for no reply.