Grr! <rant>

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:37:32 -0500 (EST)

Sigh, if ever I have had confidence in the quality of free software
over commercial software, it is now.  Case in point: FreeBSD vs.
AIX.  It should be noted that the primary reasons for using AIX
are a journaling filesystem and good RAID support, both of which
are important for a busy database box.  FreeBSD doesn't have a JFS
yet (AFAIK), and I'm still waiting on word about the ability to
monitor the RAID (i.e. for disk failures).  If we can at least get
that second piece, we might be able to convert the database box to
FreeBSD and all will be good.  In the meantime, I need to get the
AIX box working.

OK, here's the whole story... =)  Just what you all needed on a
Monday, I'm sure... ;)

AIX has SSH 2.0.12 installed.  SSH 2.0.12 is over 2 years old.  It
has nasty bugs.  SSH 2.0.12 must be replaced.  OpenSSH is secure
shell goodness.  I will install OpenSSH 2.3.0.  OpenSSH requires
OpenSSL and zlib.  No problem, I'll just download and compile zlib,
OpenSSL, and OpenSSH, and all will be good.  Files downloaded via
web browser to my workstation.  Hmm, this is OK, now just need to
get them over to the AIX box.

>scp *.tar.gz Rejg@aixshitbox:/usr/local/src
warning: Executing scp1 compatibility.
Executing ssh1 in compatibility mode failed.
lost connection

WTF?!  *grumble*  SSH over to aixshitbox, *FTP* back to my workstation
using my password in cleartext (OMG, is this really happening to
me?!) and retrieve the files.

Extract tarballs to /usr/local/src, no problem.

./configure
.
.
.
.
C compiler not found?!  WTF?  @#!@#$!@#  *grumble*

Pester boss for account on another AIX box that *has* a C compiler.
OK, no problem.  Compile all three packages, no biggie.  tar up
the resulting directory trees.

>scp *compiled* Rejg@aixshitbox:/usr/local/src
warning: Executing scp1 compatibility.
Executing ssh1 in compatibility mode failed.
lost connection

!@#$%*(%^*(@#(!@&*#@#  FTP (cleartext passwords again) the tarballs
back to my workstation. log back into aixshitbox, FTP (you guessed
it, cleartext!) in to my workstation to retrieve the tarballs.
OK, now we have compiled code for SSH and its dependencies on the
box where we need them.  Time for "make install".

>make install
.
.
.
.
Target "all" is up to date.
/usr/local/bin/perl: not found

Stop.

$%&*!#$ #%@#$%%%$*((*%(!@#&&%^^!)#)$(   OK, maybe perl is installed elsewhere.
>find / -name "perl" -print

*grumble* *mental image of me, the AIX box, and a baseball bat*

*get pissed off and start writing email*
*take a break, discuss the shortcomings of AIX with some officemates*
*collect myself*

Download binary distribution of PERL from CPAN, install using AIX
install tool.  cd /usr/local/src/openssl-0.9.6 && make install,
finally works... Install OpenSSH.  Woo hoo!!!  'Bout damn time!

Here's the score:

                        AIX     FreeBSD
Has a JFS               yes     no
Has good RAID support   yes     no?
Has OpenSSH             no      yes
Time to install OpenSSH 3 hrs   None (part of OS install!)
Has a C compiler        no      yes
Has PERL                no      yes
Has man pages           no      yes
Has "locate"            no      yes
Is FreeBSD              no      yes ;)
Total                   2       7

And the winner is: FreeBSD!

This has been a special edition of "Ed's Weekly Rant"  Please tune
in next week when I bitch about something else, or maybe the same
thing again, such is the joy I receive by hating AIX... ;)

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG President				http://www.gllug.org