Grr! <rant>

Paul Melson melson@scnc.holt.k12.mi.us
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 17:08:57 -0500 (EST)

> Here's the score:
>
>                         AIX     FreeBSD
> Has a JFS               yes     no
> Has good RAID support   yes     no?
> Has OpenSSH             no      yes
> Time to install OpenSSH 3 hrs   None (part of OS install!)
> Has a C compiler        no      yes
> Has PERL                no      yes
> Has man pages           no      yes
> Has "locate"            no      yes
> Is FreeBSD              no      yes ;)
> Total                   2       7
>
> And the winner is: FreeBSD!

     It's a poor mechanic... [j/k]

     That's somewhat unfair since AIX 4.3.x ships with Perl, cc/libc,
     and man on the CDs.  Blame the VAR/consultant that set it up that
     way.  I've had pretty decent luck with Apache/OpenSSL and SSH on
     AIX, although I admit I'm running SSH-2.4.0 from ftp.ssh.fi as
     opposed to OpenSSH, and it is a little bit more AIX-friendly (no
     need for zlib, plus a Makefile with AIX in mind).

PaulM