Grr! <rant>

Don Flynn djf2@danu.ili.net
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 04:28:04 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Edward Glowacki wrote:

Not that I think its good form to run up the score while AIX is losing so
badly, but...

> Here's the score:
>
>                         AIX     FreeBSD
> Has a JFS               yes     no

     This might be a point of contention.  Have you checked out
softupdates? From what I can tell on the *BSD lists I'm on, softupdates
are fairly stable on FreeBSD.  I know they've been around for awhile and
I've heard of some people running them on production machines.  If you
haven't heard of softupdates its basically another way to accomplish what
journaling does.  I guess in some ways its better and the author has some
pointers to some in depth info about softupdates on his web page
(mckusick.com), but I think you need to be a usenix member to read them.

--
"Is that sound you're hearing the trumpeting of St. Peter's angels
 or the screams of Memnoch's tortured souls?"