Grr! <rant>

Paul Melson melson@scnc.holt.k12.mi.us
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:36:49 -0500 (EST)

> On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Edward Glowacki wrote:
>      This might be a point of contention.  Have you checked out
> softupdates? From what I can tell on the *BSD lists I'm on, softupdates
> are fairly stable on FreeBSD.  I know they've been around for awhile and
> I've heard of some people running them on production machines.  If you
> haven't heard of softupdates its basically another way to accomplish what
> journaling does.  I guess in some ways its better and the author has some
> pointers to some in depth info about softupdates on his web page
> (mckusick.com), but I think you need to be a usenix member to read them.

     What about JFFS?  Any plans to incorporate that into *BSD?
     It'd be pretty neat to see an open (source) standard fstype
     that does journaling.  I just recently added a JFFS partition
     to my Linux system under 2.4.1.  I haven't tested its ability
     to recover from hard downs (since I still have ext2 partitions
     that I value), but it performs nicely with large files and
     heavy r/w usage.