AntiTrust

Mike Szumlinski szumlins@msu.edu
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 19:15:07 -0500

Corporate America replaces their hardware every 3-4 years for the most part,
unless they run embedded systems or specialized hardware.

If Apple ported X to x86, it would run into the same problems that Windows
currently has, support for a billion different hardware platforms. They lose
control of being able to make sure everything works well with their
hardware.

The development of a port to x86 for everything above Darwin (mostly quartz)
would be a nightmare. Plus, they would lose one of the primary development
platforms already available, classic. The big deal about OS X is that it is
going to fully support what is already available for the Mac platform. An
entire new environment would have to be developed to run vintage windows
apps. When most people purchase a new OS, they assume their current software
will be compatible, that is why there are so switch-overs in hardware.

There are 2 possibilities arising from OS X, one being that it will kill
Apple. The other is that all those people will actually see the capabilities
of a system running X (ie stable server AND a digital video workstation AND
a Maya rendering studio AND a ProTools 24 track digital Audio workstation
all in ONE box) are going to buy into it.

I probably could think of more to say, but I'm hungry, so I'm going to eat.

-Mike

On 1/14/01 5:09 PM, "RJG" <robg54@mediaone.net> wrote:

> No way, people are not going to switch to apple hardware because the
> OS is so good.  Do you really expect corporate America to replace their
> current hardware for apple because of X os?  The home user won't either,
> because they feel safe using what everyone else is......

|Mike Szumlinski           |
|Michigan State University |
|A26079565                 |
"The future is no place to place your better days" -DMB