AntiTrust

Sean picasso@madflower.com
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 23:51:41 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Mike Szumlinski wrote:

> There are 2 possibilities arising from OS X, one being that it will kill
> Apple. The other is that all those people will actually see the capabilities
> of a system running X (ie stable server AND a digital video workstation AND
> a Maya rendering studio AND a ProTools 24 track digital Audio workstation
> all in ONE box) are going to buy into it.

I dont think it will kill Apple, but I wrote out the whole initial
MacOS X plan so I might be a tad biased. I think it will kill a certain
number of users from the platform, but I think you will see a growth of
other users.

And if in fact it _does_ in fact kill Apple they can release the GUI for
free. It is all GUI code owned by Apple based on the open PDF standards.
They can easily release the whole thing without breaching licensing
agreements with other companies. So Xfree 5 might actually be Quartz which
might not be that bad of a deal.

Who said anything about limiting Maya to one box? Think about plugging xxx
cubes into your workstation via firewire and having it automatically do
distributed computing with Maya, FCPro, Protools, Compilers,  or any other
app that requires performance.