Funny

Marcel Kunath kunathma@pilot.msu.edu
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 10:22:08 -0400 (EDT)

I mean they offer 512 meg pc 133 chips. But I don't need that. If I bought a
machine today it be with ddr motherboard. It would take 2-3 gig and only have
2-3 slots. Hence I want a 1 gig ddr memory module. Even the 256 modules seem
like a joke today. I am willing to pay the extra amount but not a $600 premium.

You can't even find 512 module on crucial.com DDR 2100.

I think the memory makers fell asleep at the wheel. We had decreasing prices
for years but nothing substantial. Then we had this price hike with the
earthquake in taiwan(1999) just before the tech bubble burst. This caused an
even
greater abundance of the 32-128 modules in the stock houses. Now they drop the
prices on these items and they can't sell enough of them because who wants to
buy them old suckers. And now the companies interpret this as "the memory
market is dying" What this really is that the memory makers aren't producing
what the market wants and that is 512 and 1 gig modules. Why would I get a
motherboard with 3 gig capacity if I can only plug in 256 megs of ram which I
have right now in my old box with 300 mhz processor. I am saturated therefore
and see no way of upgrading.

With laptops its even worse. They still ship the same old motherboards which
take up to 512 meg of ram. But you don't see any of the laptop makers selling
them filled up with ram. If you want the full load you pay 700 bucks for
memory.

I dunno but all I see is bad old ram being dumped. Good and future memory
solutions are still expensive.

  mk

> "Marcel Kunath" <kunathma@pilot.msu.edu>
writes: > > > I am upset at the memory market. Yeah memory is cheap todya and