[Re: Funny]

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
12 Jul 2001 15:02:00 EDT

Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@msu.edu> wrote:
> Scott Wood <treii28@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> The last three I have changed memory on weren't all that hard.  The TI
>>I had to upgrade for my dad was a simple matter of popping the keyboard
>>out and snapping it back in when done.  My Compaq was just a matter of
>>removing the (removable) floppy drive (which locks in the touch pad),
>>removing the touch pad (which locks down the memory cover) then removing
>>the cover to the memory.  It depends on the box I guess...
>
> It's not hard on this Compaq, either.  According to my friend Tim
> (who's a Compaq authorized service "engineer") you just take out
> one screw, then pop off the keyboard.  I haven't tried it though.

Yeah, it's totally model-specific.  Thinkpads have the same one-screw cover
over the memory area that the Gateway Solos have.  Switching memory modules on
a machine like that is actually easier than switching DIMMs on a typical
desktop.

Laptop:  Remove cover, pop out mini-DIMM, pop in new mini-DIMM, replace
cover.

Desktop: remove case cover, unplug and/or rearrange all the IDE/SCSI/power
cables, remove old DIMM, attempt to insert new DIMM and run afoul of the
latching mechanism and the extreme number of pins, finally get it inserted,
replace all the cables, and put the cover back on.

(This is why I still only have 192M of PC100 in my desktop.)

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
"I backed up my brain to tape, but tar says the tape contains no data...."