LCD Displays

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:19:32 -0400

Quoted from Edward Glowacki on Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 02:25:48PM -0400:
> I've come to the conclusion that online commerce is not "here" yet.
> I've been searching for LCD displays for my car MP3 player, but
> very few of the sites I visited have any pricing information.  Some
> of the sites actually had exactly what I was looking for, but
> without a price, well, I just move on to somewhere else.  Also,
> VGA monitors smaller than 14" are very hard to find, and actually
> seem to be almost as expensive as much bigger monitors.  This
> doesn't make sense.  If you think about it, a 5" VGA LCD display
> should be *cheap*, maybe $125 considering I've seen 14" monitors
> under $400...  *sigh*  I guess most people don't think like me...
> =P

I just got a quote from one place (an industrial supplier) for LCD
screens:

6.4" TFT LCD w/ analog VGA input    $896
9.4" DSTN LCD w/ analog VGA input   $565
10.4" TFT LCD w/ analog VGA input   $1229

Now I just checked online and found 15" LCD screens, and there are
a bunch for $379-$500.

And for comparison, for $1049 one can get a brand new Dell laptop
with a 12" LCD screen.  LCD's are an expensive part of laptops,
but there's also the hard drive, CPU, CDROM, motherboard, etc.
too, so I can't imagine the LCD costing more than a few hundred.

There's used/refurb stuff online too, just need to hunt on ebay or
ubid or something.

I guess I just don't understand why those displays are so expensive
compared to "normal" LCD displays, or for that matter, why nobody
manufactures smaller, consumer LCD displays.

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG Peon  				http://www.gllug.org