X11 forwarding broke (was Re: sshd is now broke)

Scott Wood treii28@yahoo.com
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 07:53:28 -0700 (PDT)

Speaking of ssh problems, I have been having this one sneak up on me on a
couple of machines.  I run something like Xmanager from a PC, connect to a
linux box with ssh protocol and X11 forwarding on.  It works just fine for a
while then suddenly stops working.

Using Xmanager's "startX" I can get verbose results like doing ssh -v would -
what I see is the initial xterm window opens fine with a:

X11 channel request arrived.
  Established X11 connection (id=2)...Done.

The DISPLAY variable does get set with the appropriate console offset.  When I
try to run any other X command, I see an equivalent message on the local
machine:

X11 channel request arrived.
  Established X11 connection (id=3)...Done.

But what I get in the terminal window is:

$ xeyes
Xlib: connection to "localhost:11.0" refused by server
Xlib: Xssh: Invalid x11 authentication cookie!
Error: Can't open display: localhost:11.0

I checked and Xmanager does have permission set to allow connections BOTH from
that machine and from localhost (which is actually where is see's forwarded
stuff coming from - obviously it works because the initial terminal window
opens just fine).  Also keep in mind, this worked before - with the same
combination of Xmanager and ssh.  To my knowledge, nothing extremely
significant has changed.

Any help?

Scott