Mac OS X Server

Mike Szumlinski szumlins@msu.edu
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:54:27 -0400

I just figured I'd fire off some impressions of Mac OS X Server 10.0
from my recent use of it in the last couple of days, seeing as how it is
a *nix now.

It rules.

What had previously taken me about a month of reading and 8 hours of
installing and troubleshooting on my FreeBSD box (my it rest in
peace....it died the other night) took me 20 minutes on OS X
server....and that includes opening up the case to install the second
ethernet card.

Here is what I have running on it now:
1) SSHD - it just works
2) Apache with 4 virtual servers
3) Firewall w/ routing and DHCP server for machines behind the firewall
4) Samba
5) Appleshare IP Sharing
6) FTP server (not quite as robust as ProFTPd, but so easy to set up it
is sick)
7) NFS server
8) Quicktime streaming server

And best of all I didn't have to hit the command line once.  I'm
sincerely impressed with the interface and just about everything
contained.  I think the best part is that if I wanted to drop to a
command line and tarball something for backup using cron, I could.

I haven't gotten down to the nitty gritty yet with it, as I am currently
running the server on my primary home machine, but in the near future I
will be getting a new G4 to run this off of. I'm also running a copy at
work on my 350 G3/128MB iMac (in blue) and it runs fantastic.

-Mike