[Re: opensource alternatives]

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
25 Jul 2001 15:03:42 EDT

Mike Rambo <mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us> wrote:
> Scott Overfield wrote:
> >
> > Interoperation for now, although eventually I would like to move away
> > from mickeysoft altogether, at least in the back room....

> Amen - let us kneel and pray!  To answer your question though,
> interoperation is a problem now and looks like it might be for a while.
> I'm on the one of the samba lists and see _a lot_ of traffic just about
> simple file sharing and logins from win2k clients - and as I mentioned
> before - full NT4 interoperation isn't even there yet (I think the
> basically dead samba_tng branch has some NT4 capability which is still
> not in the main samba branch).  My impression is that AD really isn't
> very much on the radar at this point.

File sharing and logins from 2K clients is a problem?  I must've missed that
somewhere along the line.  We've got a couple of Linux machines running Samba,
and the nest of 2K machines we have just connect to the Linux boxen and share
files, no problem.

Of course, the authentication setup for our business is not widespread or
complex.  One PDC, running NT 4 SP3 (Alpha architecture, yikes, probably
turning into a Linux box with Samba 2.2 at some point in the future since all
it does is serve files+printers and authenticate people) where all the
passwords/groups/privs are stored.  I assume we'd have more problems if the
PDC was running 2K, or if we had AD in place--right?

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
"I backed up my brain to tape, but tar says the tape contains no data...."