[Re: opensource alternatives]

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:53:16 -0400

Matt Graham wrote:

> File sharing and logins from 2K clients is a problem?  I must've missed that
> somewhere along the line.  We've got a couple of Linux machines running Samba,
> and the nest of 2K machines we have just connect to the Linux boxen and share
> files, no problem.
>
> Of course, the authentication setup for our business is not widespread or
> complex.  One PDC, running NT 4 SP3 (Alpha architecture, yikes, probably
> turning into a Linux box with Samba 2.2 at some point in the future since all
> it does is serve files+printers and authenticate people) where all the
> passwords/groups/privs are stored.  I assume we'd have more problems if the
> PDC was running 2K, or if we had AD in place--right?

Yes. I don't have much first hand experience with this - most is from
what I've seen on the samba list. From what I've read, win2k
workstations can only join a post 2.2 samba domain and apparently there
were problems with that which have only been rectified with the most
recent release (2.2.1a I think). The domain structure samba supports is
that of NT4, nothing of the win2k AD structure is supported AFAIK. I've
read similar things about domain admin tools on win2k with samba. As far
as simple file sharing is concerned, 2.0.7 or greater will share files
with win2k, but that's about it. The big problems appear to be
authentication (almost certainly includes passing profile and policy
data) and admin tools. The features of Active Directory, where the
thread started, just aren't there yet.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us