asshole virus emailers

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
26 Jul 2001 12:34:15 -0400

So my (56 kbps) internet connection's been dog-slow all morning.
I've tried connecting on all three local dialup numbers (that I
know about), I've investigated everything I can think of.  I
can't even get DNS names to resolve half the time without timing
out.

And then I kill the fetchmail daemon and tell it to run
manually.  Lo and behold:

    50 messages (1 seen) for blp at cscw.msu.edu (8131942 octets).
    skipping message 1 (3298 octets) not flushed
    reading message 2 of 50 (7921616 octets) .

WTF?  "ssh cscw", "less /var/spool/mail/blp", there's a 2-line
virus-generated email with a fscking 8 MB attachment.  "mail",
"d2", "q", and all is well with my net connection again.

I fucking hate Outlook Express!  And I don't even use it.

--
"In some social circles, so I'm told, you don't start
 conversations with complete strangers by saying "God damn those fucking