[Re: Kernel Panic]

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
28 Jul 2001 13:57:12 EDT

"Jeremy Kettlewell" <warlock688@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >From: Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@msu.edu>
> >
> >"Jeremy Kettlewell" <warlock688@hotmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > when I boot after the Mandrake welcome screen I get a Kernal panic:
> > > VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 16:02.
> >
> >Do you have your root FS on hdc2 then?  That's device 16:02.
>
> Ya.

?!?  Major 16, minor 2 is a Goldstar CD-ROM.  hdc2 is 22:02.  Hrm.
Mandrake uses GRUB by default, so there could be something going wrong
with it.  There should be a line somewhere in /etc/grub.conf that says
something like "root=/dev/hdc2".  The fact that it's going wrong only
sometimes is highly suspect.  Software errors are almost always
repeatable; hardware errors less so.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
"I backed up my brain to tape, but tar says the tape contains no data...."