Interesting problem

Adam McDougall mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 16:33:51 -0400 (EDT)

Guessing by the speed and on/off behavior I would say check the duplex
settings on every ethernet device between each comp including the switch
if it has status indicators.  Make certain all devices are configured for
the same duplex whether it be full or half (full preferred if not using a
hub).  If you are using Autonegociate on either nic involved, try hard
setting it, and if that is failing, try auto on both sides.  I have also
heard of an environment with intel 100 cards and a netgear switch where
something would get stuck into half-duplex mode if the power blinked until
the switch was power cycled.

What network device brands and models are you using?