Linuxconf?

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 11:20:29 -0400

Quoted from Ben Pfaff on Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 11:11:24AM -0400:
> > =======================
> > 10:58AM  up 48 days, 18:07, 10 users, load averages: 1.39, 1.34, 1.39
> > The network is DOWN.  IP address = 0.0.0.0
> >     Load configuration      [work] [home] [dialup]
> >     Start network using     [eth0/DHCP] [eth0/static] [ppp0]
> >     Firewall is INACTIVE.   [activate firewall]
> >     SSHD is running.        [stop SSHD] [restart SSHD]
> >     Apache is NOT running.  [start Apache]
> >     Zope is NOT running.    [start Zope]
> >     FTP is NOT running.     [start FTP]
> >     NFS is NOT running.     [start NFS]
> >     AFS is NOT mounted.     [mount AFS]
> > lpd is RUNNING.             [stop lpd]
> > APM is ENABLED.             [disable APM]
> > Packages updated 2001/03/07             [update packages now]
> > Data directory last synced 2001/03/07   [sync data directory now]
> > ========================
>
> Most of those things can be done just by executing scripts in
> /etc/init.d, at least on a Debian system, and the others with
> ifup/ifdown or apt-get.  I bet you could hack up a utility to do
> it in an hour or so.  I haven't seen anything that does exactly
> this, but then again I haven't looked.

Yeah, much of the backend starting/stopping is easy for various
services.  Detecting running services might be a bit of a challenge,
but I'm guessing "ps ax |grep" can go a long way there.

As for tools existing, I found another one besides Linuxconf that
seems to be much the same, called Webmin, and surprise surprise,
it's a web-based solution... =P

I just figured I'd ask before I spend a weekend writing code to
do something like this (since it would probably expand once I got
going on it... ;) ).

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG Peon  				http://www.gllug.org