Grr!

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 17:32:33 -0400

Quoted from Ben Pfaff on Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 05:25:37PM -0400:
> Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu> writes:
>
> > OK, the new laptop is here and I'm trying to install Debian on it
> > by booting from a DOS boot disk, then running loadlin from my WinME
> > partition.  Unfortunately it kernel panics because it can't mount
> > the root FS.
> >
> > I'm using the standard boot disks from the "testing" distribution
> > and the command:
> >
> > loadlin linux root=/dev/ram initrd=root.bin disksize=1.44
>
> This is confusing.  Have you installed already, or not?  If you
> have already installed, then you don't want to use a ramdisk or
> initrd, and the loadlin command should be more like
> 	loadlin linux root=/dev/hda2
> where you replace hda2 by the device and partition you want to
> boot from.  On the other hand, if you haven't installed yet, then
> you want to just boot from a boot disk or CD-ROM.

Have not installed yet, trying to do that now.  From section 6.3.1
in the debian installation manual, "It is possible to install Debian
from an already installed DOS partition on the same machine. You
have two alternatives: either try the floppy-less installation, or
boot from the Rescue Floppy but install base from the local disk."
I'm trying the floppy-less installation... =P

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG Peon  				http://www.gllug.org