Grr!

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
11 Jun 2001 17:53:23 -0400

Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu> writes:

> Have another question though about running stuff on laptops.
> Specifically suspend-to-disk.  From what I can tell, you need
> unallocated free space at the beginning of the disk, and it must
> be of sufficient size to hold all the physical RAM you have, correct?
> If this is the case, then I'm kinda hosed and need to reinstall
> WinME too, because there's not enough free space at the beginning
> of the disk to accomodate the extra RAM I'm going to add tonight...
> =P

As I understand it, this is true for BIOS-assisted
suspend-to-disk.  But I don't think that BIOS-assisted
suspend-to-disk is supported by Linux.  Fortunately, it doesn't
need to be: there is a kernel "hibernation" patch that does this
without any assistance from hardware or BIOS, and this patch
works on any hardware.  (In theory at least; I haven't tried it,
and it's still experimental.)  Google for `linux hibernation
patch' to find it.
--
Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@msu.edu> <pfaffben@debian.org> <blp@gnu.org>
MSU Graduate - Debian GNU/Linux Maintainer - GNU Developer