Grr!

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 18:49:27 -0400

Quoted from Matt Graham on Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 06:29:14PM -0400:
> "Jeremy Paul Bowers" <bowersj2@pilot.msu.edu> wrote:
> > Ben Pfaff, you said. . .
> > >As I understand it, this is true for BIOS-assisted
> > >suspend-to-disk.  But I don't think that BIOS-assisted
> > >suspend-to-disk is supported by Linux.  Fortunately, it doesn't
> > >need to be: there is a kernel "hibernation" patch that does this
> > >without any assistance from hardware or BIOS, and this patch
> > >works on any hardware.
>
> Correct about the patch.  However, some laptops (lots of ThinkPads) have a
> hardware "suspend-to-disk" that you can trigger with a key sequence.

I have what appears to be a form of hardware suspend-to-disk on
the inspiron 4000 (a key on the keyboard labelled "suspend").  I
just hit the key and suspended my Linux install...  The problem is
that my suspend-to-disk partition appears to be 80mb, and soon I
shall have 192mb of RAM (have 64 now, 128 at home waiting...), and
immediately after it on the disk is WinME.  =(  My thought now is
to make that boot disk I've heard about with the utility to recreate
the suspend-to-disk partition, make it something like 200mb, then
partition the rest of my disk as needed, followed by full installs
of Windoze and Linux... Sigh... lots of work... =P