Hibernation options on laptops

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
11 Jun 2001 19:40:17 -0400

Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu> writes:

> OK, I was browsing for more info on hibernating my laptop and found
>
> http://www.mobilix.org/Mobile-Guide.db/mobile-guide-p2c1s8-apm.html
>
> At the very bottom of the page it mentions "software suspend",
> which in the words of the page "...may even be better than hibernate,
> because now I can suspend my Linux system, boot into Microsoft
> Windows, perform a few illegal operations and be shut down, and
> then restart my Linux setup exactly where I left off! This is
> something that cannot be done with hibernation, since that always
> restores the last state that you suspended from, be it Microsoft
> Windows or Linux. So if I want to switch to Microsoft Windows to
> play games or do anything else, I can leave my Linux desktop exactly
> as it is and return to how I left it."

Yeah, that's what I meant by "hibernation": software, not
hardware hibernation.

> Anyone tried this?

Not me.  It's pretty experimental right now (but may still work).
Lots of info and the patches themselves at
	http://falcon.sch.bme.hu/~seasons/linux/swsusp.html
--
"The sound of peacocks being shredded can't possibly be
 any worse than the sound of peacocks not being shredded."