More Debian installation woes...

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
11 Jun 2001 21:13:13 -0400

Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu> writes:

> Quoted from Ben Pfaff on Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 09:02:15PM -0400:
> > Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu> writes:
> >
> > > OK, now it can't seem to find the 4 disks of drivers I installed...
> > > thus I can't get the network card to work, which means I can't do
> > > the rest of my installation... *mutter*  It's now 9pm, getting
> > > to the point where starting over would better wait until tomorrow...
> >
> > This will happen if you boot a kernel that's different from the
> > one that you used for the install.  You may be able to `insmod
> > -f' the network kernel driver anyhow, if you can find it (it'll
> > be in /lib/modules somewhere).  But a better fix is to boot with
> > the same kernel.
>
> Mutter mutter, one would think files from the same distribution of
> Debian would be the same version...

It's more likely a difference in "flavors" than version; e.g., if
you installed from 2.2.17-compact but booted into 2.2.17-idepci,
this would happen.

BTW the install disks are generally quite b0rked until just
before Debian release, because the install disks are generally
the last things to be ready before a release.  Personally, I
don't ever install `unstable' (or `testing', now).  I install
`stable', because it has install disks that actually work, then
upgrade to `unstable'.  Upgrading is easy if you've got a net
connection (just add `unstable' to your /etc/apt/sources.list and
run `apt-get -uy dist-upgrade'), but installing from half-working
install floppies is not.
--
"You know, they probably have special dorms for people like us."
--American Pie