7700 packages...

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
11 Jun 2001 22:16:54 -0400

Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu> writes:

> I think what I'm looking for is something better than dselect.
> Basically dselect is a nightmare to use, and even for as long as
> I've been using it, I don't feel anywhere near comfortable that it
> will do what I want, install the packages I need, or help me keep
> my sanity when installing packages.  Once you get debian installed,
> using apt to update your system rocks, but setting up your system
> is another thing entirely...

You could just set up a bare system and install things as you
need them.  I do this, more or less: choose a few of the default
profiles (development, X, etc.), then `apt-get install'
everything else.

There are some alternatives to dselect also, though I haven't
tried them, such as `deity' and `stormpkg'.
--
"Whoever you are -- SGI, SCO, HP, or even Microsoft -- most of the
 smart people on the planet work somewhere else."