7700 packages...

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:26:45 -0400

Quoted from Ben Pfaff on Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 10:16:54PM -0400:
> Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu> writes:
>
> > I think what I'm looking for is something better than dselect.
> > Basically dselect is a nightmare to use, and even for as long as
> > I've been using it, I don't feel anywhere near comfortable that it
> > will do what I want, install the packages I need, or help me keep
> > my sanity when installing packages.  Once you get debian installed,
> > using apt to update your system rocks, but setting up your system
> > is another thing entirely...
>
> You could just set up a bare system and install things as you
> need them.  I do this, more or less: choose a few of the default
> profiles (development, X, etc.), then `apt-get install'
> everything else.
>
> There are some alternatives to dselect also, though I haven't
> tried them, such as `deity' and `stormpkg'.

deity appears to be console-apt, and stormpkg isn't installed yet,
have to try that one in a bit.  Right now I'm trying to get X
working... I installed 4.1 and wouldn't you know it, it won't run,
many many unresolved symbols in various drivers (all of them?)...

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG Peon  				http://www.gllug.org