(no subject)

Benjamin Minshall minshal1@pilot.msu.edu
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 10:09:24 -0500

>From the SMB-HOWTO:

You can either configure your Samba server to use encrypted passwords,
or configure the Windows machines to use unencrypted passwords.

To get Windows to work with encrypted SMB passwords:

Windows 95/98 =============

Using the registry editor (regedit), create the registry setting
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP Add a
new DWORD value: Value Name:  EnablePlainTextPassword Data:
0x01.

Windows NT ==========

Using the registry editor (regedit), create the registry setting
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters
Add a new DWORD value: Value Name:  EnablePlainTextPassword Data:
0x01

Windows 2000 ============

Using the registry editor (regedit), create the registry setting
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkStation\Param
eters
Add a new DWORD value: Value Name: EnablePlainTextPassword Data: 0x01

Once these registry changes have been made, reboot the Windows machine
and try to map a network drive on the Samba server again.  It should
work as long as the Samba server is using plain text passwords.