Athlon Mainboards

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:07:29 -0500

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 09:17:36AM -0500, Mark Szidik wrote:
> What kind of Athlon (Tbird) motherboards do people like?

I have an Asus A7V.  Has a standard ATA66 controller, plus
an additional Promise ATA100 controller, so you can stick
8 IDE devices on it.  It has an AGP Pro, 5 PCI, and 3 DIMM
slots, and you can set the CPU frequency in 1MHz increments.
For more info, see:

http://www.asus.com/products/motherboard/socketa/a7v/index.html

It's possible to get the ATA100 controller to work with the
standard IDE drivers in linux, if you don't mind it bumping
down to ATA66/33.  With the newer kernels, you can probably
get it to work as ATA100.

It was a bit more expensive than some of the other MB's I was
looking at (it's about $130 now on pricewatch), but most of the
others didn't have ATA100 and/or AGP Pro.  It's been working
great for me so far!

> He is asking about the Pentium 4, and I just dont think that its worth
> the cost difference.  Any opinions?
> He is not a big gamer.

Bah, even if he was a big gamer, the TBird rocks! =)

--
Edward Glowacki			glowack2@msu.edu
Michigan State University